Dog breeding during Covid lockdown - contactless stud services
Covid safe stud services
The ever increasing number of Covid infections in NSW and tightening restrictions have resulted in us receiving a huge number of enquiries for our stud dogs’ services and we’ve needed to change our process in order to keep everyone safe, comply with lockdown restrictions and to help as many of our clients as we can during this difficult time. We are currently offering our services through Colyton vet who are offering contactless Covid safe essential services at this time.
Our stud fee would normally include up to two matings or fresh inseminations however when utilising TCI (trans-cervical insemination) through a repro vet, one TCI is more than sufficient and minimises travel for us and our clients. Our stud dogs produce a great fresh collection with semen counts from approximately 300-600 million.
Shipping chilled dog semen by courier
We have been shipping chilled semen to our clients who are unable to travel to our reproduction specialist vet for insemination. This has resulted in successful pregnancies for clients all over Australia. Chilled semen is fresh semen that is mixed with extender and has an average lifespan of 3-5 days. Chilled semen is not frozen semen, more die off if expected with frozen semen than chilled. Both can be inseminated by TCI or surgical implant.
Option 1 Fresh semen collection from one of our stud dogs – Stud fee includes one fresh Semen Collection at Colyton Vet, if you would like a second collection on another day for inseminating the female a second time in the one cycle, an additional fee will apply –
- One trip to Colyton Vet for a semen collection (all contactless) and the vet takes your female and inseminates her. To minimise travel we recommend doing one TCI (Tran-scervical insemination – cost is approximately $350 for this procedure but enquire with Colyton Vet for current pricing). TCI deposits the semen directly in the uterus, it is a non-invasive procedure, whereby a camera is inserted through the vagina to locate the uterus, semen is then deposited by catheter in the uterus. This procedure is highly successful and is the most accurate and efficient way to inseminate the female.
- The video below shows the TCI process carried out by repro specialist – Colyton Vet.
- To determine when this TCI should be carried out, progesterone testing can be done at Colyton Vet. Colyton Vet charges around $60 per progesterone test, if travelling is an issue for you, they also offer a boarding service package – where they will progesterone test your dog each morning and let you know when she’s ready, we then take our stud to Colyton for collection and they inseminate by TCI. She’s ready to go home the same day.
- For this service we are currently charging our stud fee ($900 for our toy poodle stud and $700 for our cavoodle stud) for the one semen collection and trip to Colyton Vet, if you would like a second collection for a second insemination an additional fee will apply for this service.
- If your female does not fall pregnant, we offer a return service on her next cycle (If travel to Colyton vet is required again, we charge an additional $100 for this), we require a vet letter (with the microchip of the inseminated female) stating that she is not pregnant within 8 weeks of the insemination. Ultrasound can be done at 4 weeks gestation or an X ray at 8 weeks gestation.
- All veterinary expenses are paid for by the owner of the female – please contact Colyton Vet for their exact pricing.
Option 2 Chilled semen – Stud fee ($1200) includes one fresh Semen Collection and chill at Colyton Vet for transport to your closest reproduction specialist vet for TCI (owner of female pays for TCI and courier).
- One trip to Colyton Vet for a semen collection (all contactless) and they chill the semen and pack it in an esky ready for transport by a courier of your choice. Chilled semen is fresh semen (not frozen) it is simply chilled and mixed with an extender which keeps it alive for around 3-5 days.
- You have a courier collect the chilled semen in esky from Colyton Vet and take to your local repro specialist for insemination by TCI.
- Timing of when chilled semen is collected is determined by progesterone testing your female and your repro specialist will be able to advise when to have the semen collected and shipped.
- Transporting semen by courier generally costs from around $100-$230 depending on where you’re located in Sydney or surrounds and we have a reliable courier who we can recommend.
- If your female does not fall pregnant, we offer a return service on her next cycle (If travel to Colyton vet is required again, we charge an additional $100 for travel and if chilled semen collection is required again we charge an additional $300 for this, you cover courier charge for shipping chilled semen) we require a vet letter (with the microchip of the inseminated female) stating that she is not pregnant within 8 weeks of the insemination. Ultrasound by a qualified reproduction specialist vet can be done at 4 weeks gestation or an X ray at 8 weeks gestation to identify pregnancy.
All veterinary and courier costs are the responsibility of the owner of female.
Some recommended repro specialist vets in Sydney and NSW surrounds – include North Richmond Vet, Bowral vet, Bass Hill Vet, Vineyard vet, Sires on Ice in Calga, and our local repro specialist Colyton Vet.
Click here to book one of our fully health tested, proven stud dogs now.